Tuesday, January 7, 2014

D.I.Y Sharpie Mugs



Hello everyone! So I have decided to jump on the sharpie mug band wagon, and share some of my tips and tricks with you! These mugs are so adorable, personalized, and good for any occasion. These would be great for a gift for anybody or any holiday. I think one of the things I love the most about these are how they just look handmade... That doesn't make sense. I guess what i'm trying to say is I like that they have your very own handwriting and you were creative in making them. That to me is the best kind of gift! Thought out and personalized. Okay enough rambling, lets get started!

What you will need:
A ceramic mug (The cheaper the better, Dollar store ones work great!)
A Sharpie. I used a normal sharpie and a fine tip.
Rubbing Alcohol
Q-tips
Cotton pads
Some creativity!

First off you need to soak your cotton pad in the rubbing alcohol, and then clean the mug. While you are doing this don't touch the mug after you clean it. The oils from your hands could prevent the sharpie from sticking to your mug while you bake it.

If you have some rubber gloves that would probably be the best way to do this, because let me tell you, it is not easy to not touch your mug while drawing. I didn't have any gloves so I just wrapped my hand in saran wrap... I know. I don't want to talk about it either. 

Once you have cleaned the surface, start drawing! You can prepare a few Q-tips dipped in alcohol, because if you are speedy you can remove any mistakes you make with the Q-tip.

I decided to make a mug for my husband. I wrote "Goodmorning Sunshine" on the outside of the mug. On the inside rim I wrote "I love you handsome". Cute, I know ;). The other mug I just opted for some cute designs. If you wanted to write one of your favorite quotes, or if you're good at drawing then draw something cool! 
                                     
Once you are done drawing still be sure to not touch it! Set your mug or mugs aside in a safe place where they will be left alone for 24 hours. By letting it sit it allows the sharpie to fully set. I put some saran wrap over them and left it till the next day.
Once you have let them sit for 24 hours it is time to bake them!  FIRST put your mugs in the oven when it is cold. Then turn your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit. Leave the mugs in for 30 minutes. If you know your oven takes awhile to heat up, then start the timer for 30 minutes once it has reached 425. 

I would recommend checking your mug throughout the 30 minutes just to make sure your mug is staying white, and does not turn brown int he heat.

Once the timer has gone off turn the oven off and LEAVE your mugs inside the oven until it is cold enough to reach your hand in and take the mug out. You can then test to make sure the sharpie has stayed by rubbing a wet rag over the part you have drawn on. If not, put it in the over for round 2. Same degree and time. 

The next test is the dishwasher! If it passes that test then you get an A+! I ran mine through the dishwasher and I am happy to report it stayed on! I would love to hear about your mugs. If they worked or not, and also what you drew! I hope I inspired you to do something fun and cool! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!
Until next time
XOXO
Kassi


1 comment:

  1. Very Cute! I've nominated you for the Leibster Award! Check out my blog for details.

    XO, Tracy Marie
    www.Savvyandme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete