Sunday, April 6, 2014

D.I.Y: How To Clean Out An Old Candle

 Hello Everybodyy! I haven't done a DIY post in awhile, so I decided to do one for you today! I had a few old candles that were used up, so I wanted to show you how to clean them, and put them to some use! This is a really simple process and it pretty much always works, so lets get started!



What you will need:
An old candle
A knife (I used a butter knife)
Soap
A scrubby brush

As you can see this candle has been well loved. There is barely any wax left in it, which is perfect. Now you can do this with a candle that has more wax, but it will be harder to get it out.

Once you have your candle, pop it in the freezer. I usually leave mine in over night to make sure it is super frozen, but you can leave it in for a couple hours and it should be fine depending on how much wax is left in the candle. 

Once your candle is completely frozen you want to take it out, and immediately start trying to get the wax out. If you let it sit out a little bit it will be harder to get the wax out. Using the knife (carefully!) push down on the wax until it pops up. It should come out in big chunks, but if it doesn't just keep pushing down on the knife until you reach the bottom of the candle. 



Ta da! All the wax is out. You will be left with the wicks, which are usually glued to the bottom.

Once all the wax is out put your candle in the sink and pour some soap in it. Once your water is as hot as it will get fill it up, and let it soak for 15-30 min. If you have stickers on your glass that aren't coming off easily you can soak the whole candle in soapy water. It will help the glue detach from the glass. 


Once you've let it sit, get your scrubby brush and start scrubbin! Letting is soak will also make it easier to get all black stuff off of the sides. Scrub your candle until it is nice and squeaky clean.


This is what your candle should look like when you're done scrubbing. You can dry it off with a towel and there you go! Sometimes I also put mine in the dishwasher, just to make sure everything is off of it. But that is optional. 


Horray! It can now be used for anything you like. Because of the size and how pretty the lid was, I decided to put Q-tips in it. 


Below you can see other purposes for old candles. I use them for mascaras, makeup brushes, eyeliners, whatever I can fit in them! You can also make them super cute with some bows, or stickers, whatever you like!



I hope you all enjoyed this post! Let me know down in the comments if you have any tips or tricks on cleaning out old candles! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! 
Until next time,

XOXO
Kassi


5 comments:

  1. Love you brushes!!!
    Great pictures!
    If you want, we can follow each other. Kisses
    http://fashionsecrets-oksana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I have a few candles that are almost empty. I love the ribbons on yours

    Kathrynt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for checking out my blog, dear:)
    I am your follower on GFC(31)
    Kisses
    http://fashionsecrets-oksana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete